Tuesday, December 26, 2017

I Am Still a Work-in-Progress

It's been 5-1/2 years since I retired.  During this time I have focused primarily on substitute teaching at both the middle and high school levels, and volunteer math tutoring at the elementary school level.  I have absolutely enjoyed these activities as they have allowed me to continue working with young people...a passion that convinced me to pursue a teaching license back in 1997.

I had lunch several weeks ago with a former teaching colleague of mine who was facing retirement and now wanted to consider taking the substitute teaching route.  Our discussion led me to discover that I now wanted to take a different path in my life for the next several years.  Substitute teaching was becoming less rewarding to me.  Rarely was I allowed to actually teach in the classroom; I was nothing more than a room monitor making sure students did worksheets and did not kill each other in the process.  I don't necessarily blame the teachers who hired me.  It's just a reality of substitute teaching.

I have always enjoyed volunteer work.  Was there a volunteer opportunity in the Twin Cities on Fridays, accessible by public transportation, that would allow me to fall back on the business skills I practiced for 25 years and taught in the high school for 13 years?  I believe they exist.  It's now incumbent on me to seek them out (just like looking for a job once again).  On the recommendation of my wife, my first stop has been the MN Council for Non-Profits web site where I can peruse volunteer, part-time, jobs and internships.

This is where I am at the moment.  More news to come as I take this new path in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment