Friday, January 6, 2012

Beginning My Newest Journey

My life has been a roller coaster of change and challenge.  I have always taken care to do those things expected of a father, husband, and male in our society without thinking of other options.  Somewhere in between school, jobs, career, parenting, and husbanding, I have attempted to lead the best life I know how.  I have been blessed with numorous opportunities and I have always said "yes" whenever called to give of myself to whatever cause beckoned.  I am grateful...and I have grown tremendously over these past 60 years.

Now I face a new challenge and change in my life...anticipating retirement (or "refirement" as some view it).  Perhaps the most daunting of all my experiences, I am attempting to put into place new opportunities that will re-energize me and renew my enthusiasm for what each day will bring.  This blog has been created to capture the essense of what I will find in my journey and how I will approach each day's gift.  I am sincerely grateful for the opportunity to reach this important phase of my life.

4 comments:

  1. I would be remiss if I didn't post my "two cents worth". The first 6 months of my retirement have been both wonderful and wistful. I am so thankful that I have the opportunity to continue meaningful work doing sub teaching, staying involved with young people, and feeling needed. I have found a real need to keep doing so, at a more leisurely pace. You, Howard, will find many ways to stay active, as we have talked about already, and it will be great fun seeing how your life twists and turns over the next 30 years! Rj

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm honored to follow this next phase of your life and am certain it will be as wildly successful as those that come before it. Seems like yesterday you were leaving Radiology to teach, and can't believe (for the sake of those kids who benefited from your presence) that it is on to the next thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howard:
    Ysh and I will be active observers and participants for periodic reunions,in this next phase of your life. As you know Ysh retired June of 08 but has re entered the education profession in 60-100 day Principal/HR engagements in her old district as well as neighboring districts; She still has the juices of an educator flowing and I suspect wherever your new journey leads, you will continue on that adventure with the same fire and enthusiasm that defined your radiology and education careers. We will anxiously await the news and blog clips as they unfold. Dewey and Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all. I hope my adventure is worth sharing ;-)

    ReplyDelete