Friday, January 27, 2012

Independence Day – Submitting My Letter of Retirement/Resignation

This week has been THE week.  On Tuesday, I met with my principal and on Friday, I met with the Human Resources people and SUBMITTED MY RETIREMENT LETTER!  Those who have done this can attest to what a freeing experience this can be.  There comes a feeling of elation that cannot be compared to anything else.

I should know.  I’ve done this twice before.  Back in 1981 I left my first career to stay at home and take care of my two daughters.  And, in 1998, I retired from my second career and finished preparing for my transition to full-time teaching.  In each instance, that moment when you walk out that door for the last time can be extraordinarily liberating.

I still have five wonderful months remaining in the classroom.  I DO love what I do.  However, I am looking forward to changing how I interact with students by transitioning into substitute teaching without the added responsibilities of prepping, grading, parent contact, and administrative minutia.  I love to teach.  I am less fond of the other “stuff” that has complicated my professional life as an educator.

There is a lesson in all of this.  I often tell my students about their future in a world where they many have 5-6 careers before they retire.  I sometimes think that I have been a little ahead of my time.  And…best of all…the last chapter has yet to be written.

2 comments:

  1. Howard, good morning from Georgia. Your thoughts brought me back to last January when I gave my official letter to my superintendent. It sure is fun to be down here, having the opportunity to teach in another state, and for the second time around after being a principal for 20 years. It is great to be with kids, but on my own terms. We miss you both and look forward to returning in mid-March.
    Enjoy every day! Stay warm as well.
    Rj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who could have imagined that you would be subbing in Georgia! Do you have to "mush up" your words like a Southerner? I'll be the kids get a kick out of your Midwestern accent.

      Delete